Session 2: Challenges of Refugees
Today, we are watching a full-length video at HOA. You can participate at home by watching one of the links provided below and discussing with everyone using the ‘reply’ at the bottom of this post. For full ThinkFeed credit, be sure to explain your thoughts as fully as possible, with details and examples. I suggest writing out your responses in a document first, proofread, then copy/paste into a new discussion post.
1. Before you watch, respond briefly to the following:
- Do all peoples around the world deserve the same basic human rights? Why or why not?
- What should these rights include?
2. Click the link to watch the video:
The Lost Boys of Sudan: “God Grew Tired of Us” (This is an instant stream video on Netflix)
If you do not have access to Netflix, no worries! The alternate video is:
PBS Homeland: Immigration in America: Refugees
3. Stop the video as needed to respond to any or all questions/ however much or little you would like:
- What would be the greatest challenges of suddenly starting over in a new culture?
- What responsibility, if any, does the US have in helping refugees from around the world?
- Is it more important to assimilate into the new culture or keep your own cultural traditions?
- Why do you think refugees face so many resentments and prejudices? For example in the US, it is often heard-“You’re in the US now, speak English.”
- Is there anything you can do/should do as an individual to ease the plight of refugees?
- Any other response you would like to share about the videos?
Be sure to respond to others students’ posts appropriately, whether you agree with their thoughts or not.