Session 3: Faces of America
Today, we are watching a full-length video episode at HOA. You can participate at home by watching one of the links provided below and discussing with everyone using the ‘reply’ at the bottom of this post. For full ThinkFeed credit, be sure to explain your thoughts as fully as possible, with details and examples. I suggest writing out your responses in a document first, proofread, then copy/paste into a new discussion post.
1. Before you watch, consider and respond briefly to the following:
- What is the difference between race and ethnicity? Does it matter?
- Are Americans as a group more alike or more different? Explain your thoughts.
2. Click the link to watch the video:
Faces of America: Episode 1- Our American Stories
3. Stop the video as needed to respond to any or all questions/ however much or little you would like:
- What is meant by the phrase “We are the sum of all that has come before us”?
- What appeal does America hold for immigrants?
- What would your “Book of Life” reveal about you and your family?
- Do current events play a part in your life? When future generations (your kids, grandkids, etc…) look back on your life, how will they say it was shaped?
- Is it more important to feel a part of the larger group or to keep your individual identity?
- Any other response you would like to share/questions to pose about the video?
Be sure to respond to others students’ posts appropriately, whether you agree with their thoughts or not.